How are you gorgeous people. Continuing my Summer to Fall/Winter outfit post series, today I curated a summer and a winter staple from my wardrobe to create this look.
Mixing pattern has been my latest obsession while creating an outfit. It's so much fun, but it can be risky as well if we don't do it right. A few tips that I keep in mind while doing so
1. Stay in the same colour family, or try to connect both the the pieces with one common colour. As in this outfit, I had chosen pink as the base colour which you can see in the floral print of the dress. The overcoat has light pink undertone as the base colour.
2. Break the Patterns a little by adding some solid detail to the outfit. It may be accessories, shoes anything, but the key is keep everything else simple.
3. Unless it is a matching co-ordinate outfit, avoid mixing the same pattern from head to toe. For example stripes from head to toe, or a polka dot dress to polka dot shoes and accessories. Probably a striped shirt with a solid coloured pants/skirt and shoes paired with a striped bag without clashing colours of the stripes of the shirt, would be a smart idea to achieve the mixed pattern look. However mixing different scale of the stripes is also a good idea.
4. The patterns that you choose to mix should not compete with each other. For example in my outfit I had chosen bigger cheetah prints as compared to the size of the floral prints in the dress. Keep the number of patterns to a minimum of two, one being a little understated than the other.
5. Mixing a pattern with a different texture of cloth is also a great idea for mixed pattern look. For example a plaid shirt with a leather pant paired with a fur vest/jacket looks chic as well as bold and well put together.
6. For a casual yet cute look go subtle while mixing patterns. For example a leopard print shoes paired with a solid coloured outfit and a striped bag is a great idea.
Hope my my Pattern Mixing mantras are useful for you.
Until next time keep it stylish....keep it functional.
Boots - Charles & Keith
Knee high Socks - H&M
Stockings - Primark
Dress - Cotton On
Coat - Primark
Necklace - Forever 21
Ear Hoops/Rings - Kualalumpur
Aviators - Burberry
On My Lips - M.A.C Nicki Minaj Viva Glam